HI I’M LAURALEE
Product designer. Front-end developer. Usability professional. Entrepreneur.
Where you can find me around the internet
- Here of course. With each blog post I try to design an image to go along with it. Even if you don't read the post, take a look at the image. This one was super fun. So was this one.
- Empathetic - I'm working with a colleague to build remote user research tools. Tools like usability studies, surveys, card sorts. That sort of thing. It's geared toward getting answer and insights quickly.
- CSS Academy - I love CSS. I am constantly learning and improving my CSS skills. I wanted a place to store it all and share it with others. It's really geared toward designers and developers who want to learn or improve their CSS skills as well.
- Dribbble - I have some of my design work up there. To be honest, I'm not great about remembering to take time to share my design work. But, when I do that's where I do it. If you're on dribbble I'd love to connect with you there.
Books that have changed me and the way I work
- Deep Work - this is a book about performing your best work intentionally. It changed the way I schedule and do my work. If you are not already working deeply, I truly believe that you would benefit from following the advice in this book.
- Man's Search for Meaning - probably the most beautiful book I have ever read. It changed the way I view my freedom and my attitude. It is inspiring and incredibly insightful.
- The Compound Effect - this is a book about the fundamentals of success. It is the solid foundation for anyone who wants to achieve their goals. It's a book about consistency.
- Big Magic - a book on creativity. That might sound boring but I promise you this book is anything but boring. If you are a creator or want to be this book is worth your time. I especially love to listening to Elizabeth Gilbert narrate it. Sometimes I hope the book will never end.
- It Doesn't Have to Be Crazy at Work - this book showed me what work could actually be like. I was so used to it being one way I never considered it could be different. This book opened my eyes not only to work but to myself.
- Steal Like an Artist - when I first started designing I needed this book. It's another book about creativity. It's short and so good.
A few of my favorite quotes
I really love quotes so it's hard to narrow it down but here are a few that impact me each time I read them.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
“We who lived in the concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.”
Viktor E. Frankl
"The secret to winning is learning how to lose. That is, learning to bounce back from failure and disappointment—undeterred—and continuing to steadily march toward your potential. Your response to failure determines your capacity for success."
“A year from now, you’ll wish you had started today.”